لمطالعة نسخة مبسطة، بدون حروف إضافية
|القرون:||القرن 17 - القرن 18 - القرن 19|
|العقود:||عقد 1710 عقد 1720 عقد 1730 - عقد 1740 - عقد 1750 عقد 1760 عقد 1770|
|السنوات:||1737 1738 1739 - 1740 - 1741 1742 1743|
|1740 حسب الموضوع:|
|الآثار – العمارة – الفن – الأدب (الشعر) – الموسيقى – العلوم|
|كندا – مصر - سوريا|
|حكام المستعمرات – زعماء الدول|
|تصنيفا المواليد والوفيات|
|المواليد – الوفيات|
|تصنيفا التأسيسات والانحلالات|
|التأسيسات – الانحلالات|
|آب أوربه كونديتا||2493|
|التقويم البهائي||−104 – −103|
|سنة العهد البريطاني||13 Geo. 2 – 14 Geo. 2|
|التقويم الصيني||己未年 (التراب الماعز)|
4436 أو 4376
— إلى —
庚申年 (المعدن القرد)
4437 أو 4377
|- ڤيكرام سامڤات||1796–1797|
|- شاكا سامڤات||1662–1663|
|- كالي يوگا||4841–4842|
|التقويم الياباني||Genbun 5|
|التقويم اليوليوسي||الگريگوري ناقص 11 يوم|
|تقويم مينگوو||172 قبل جمهورية الصين|
|التقويم الشمسي التايلندي||2283|
سنة 1740 (MDCCXL) كانت سنة كبيسة تبدأ يوم الجمعة (الرابط يعرض التقويم كاملاً) التقويم الگريگوري، السنة 1740 بعد الميلاد (م)، السنة 740 في الألفية 2، السنة 40 في القرن 18، والسنة 1st في عقد 1740 بين 1583 و 1929 ومع فارق 1740 is 11 يوم عن التقويم اليوليوسي، والذين ظلوا مستخدمين حتى التحول الكامل إلى التقويم الگريگوري في 1929.
- February 20 – The North Carolina General Assembly incorporates the town of Newton as Wilmington، North Carolina، named for Spencer Compton, 1st Earl of Wilmington and patron of Royal Governor Gabriel Johnston.
- April 8 – War of the Austrian Succession: The Royal Navy captures the Spanish ship of the line Princesa off Cape Finisterre، and takes her into British service.
- May 31 – Frederick II comes to power in Prussia، upon the death of his father, Frederick William I.
- June 26 – War of Jenkins' Ear – Siege of Fort Mose: A Spanish column of 300 regular troops, free Black militia and Indian auxiliaries storms Britain's strategically crucial position of Fort Mose، Florida.
- July 11 – Pogrom: Jews are expelled from Little Russia.
- August 1 – The song Rule, Britannia! is first performed at Cliveden، the country home of Frederick, Prince of Wales، in England.
- August 17 – Pope Benedict XIV succeeds Pope Clement XII، as the 247th pope.
- October 9–22 – Batavia Massacre: Troops of the Dutch East India Company massacre 5,000–10,000 Chinese Indonesians in Batavia.
- October 20 – Maria Theresa inherits the hereditary dominions of the Habsburg Monarchy (Austria, Bohemia، Hungary and modern-day Belgium) under the terms of the Pragmatic Sanction of 1713. However, her succession to the Holy Roman Empire is contested widely because she is a woman.
- November – Hertford College, Oxford، is founded for the first time.
- November 6 – Samuel Richardson's popular and influential epistolary novel، Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded, is published in London.
- December 16 – Frederick II of Prussia invades the Habsburg possession of Silesia، starting the War of the Austrian Succession.
- By an act of the Parliament of Great Britain، alien immigrants (including Huguenots and Jews) in the colonies receive British nationality.
- Enfield, North Carolina، is founded.
- Adam Smith enters Balliol College, Oxford.
- George Whitefield founds the Bethesda Orphanage near Savannah, Georgia.
- Spain begins construction on Fort Matanzas in the Matanzas Inlet، approximately 15 ميلs (24 kم) south of St. Augustine, Florida.
- The University of Pennsylvania is officially established.
- February 4 – Carl Michael Bellman، Swedish poet, composer (d. 1795)
- February 15 – Juan Andrés، Spanish Jesuit (d. 1817)
- February 16 – Giambattista Bodoni، Italian publisher and engraver (d. 1813)
- February 17 – John Sullivan، American General in the American Revolutionary War، delegate in the Continental Congress (d. 1795)
- March – Johann van Beethoven، German musician, father of Ludwig van Beethoven (d. 1792)
- March 16 – Johann Jacob Schweppe، German-born inventor, founder of the Schweppes Company (d. 1821)
- April 7 – Haym Salomon، Polish-Jewish American financier of the American Revolution (d. 1785)
- May 7 – Nikolai Arkharov، Russian police chief (d. 1814)
- June 2 – Marquis de Sade، French author, for whom sadism is named (d. 1814)
- June 27 – James Woodforde، English clergyman and diarist (d. 1803)
- July 27 – Jeanne Baré، French explorer (d. 1803)
- August 23 – Emperor Ivan VI of Russia (d. 1764)
- August 26 – Joseph-Michel Montgolfier، French inventor (d. 1810)
- September 12 – Johann Heinrich Jung، German writer (d. 1817)
- September 23 – Empress Go-Sakuramachi of Japan (d. 1813)
- September 25 – Hercules Mulligan، tailor and spy during the American Revolutionary War (d. 1825)
- October 29 – James Boswell، Scottish author (d. 1795)
- October 31 – Philip James de Loutherbourg، English artist (d. 1812)
- December – Elisabeth Olin، Swedish opera singer (d. 1828)
- Ali Pasha of Ioannina، Albanian ruler (d. 1822)
- Margaret Bingham، Countess of Lucan, born Margaret Smith, English portrait miniature painter and writer (d. 1814)
- John Milton، American politician and officer of the Continental Army (d. 1817) (earliest estimated date of birth)
- Septimanie d'Egmont، French salonist (d. 1773)
- يناير – Louise Élisabeth de Joybert، politically active Canadian governors' wife (b. 1673)
- January 5 – Antonio Lotti، Italian composer (b. 1667)
- January 17 – Matthias Buchinger، German artist (b. 1674)
- January 20 – Niccolò Comneno Papadopoli، Italian jurist of religious law and historian (b. 1655)
- January 21 – Nicholas Trott، colonial magistrate, South Carolina Chief Justice (b. 1663)
- January 27 – Louis Henri, Duke of Bourbon، Prime Minister of France (b. 1692)
- January 29 – Richard Lumley, 2nd Earl of Scarbrough (b. 1686)
- February 6 – Pope Clement XII (b. 1652)
- February 23 – Massimiliano Soldani Benzi، Italian artist (b. 1656)
- February 29 – Pietro Ottoboni، Italian cardinal (b. 1667)
- March 23 – Olof Rudbeck the Younger، Swedish scientist and explorer (b. 1660)
- April 23 – Thomas Tickell، English writer (b. 1685)
- May 17 – Jean Cavalier، French Protestant rebel leader (b. 1681)
- May 31 – Frederick William I، King in Prussia (b. 1688)
- June 1 – Samuel Werenfels، Swiss theologian (b. 1657)
- June 6 – Alexander Spotswood، British governor of Virginia Colony (b. 1676)
- June 17
- June 18 – Piers Butler, 3rd Viscount Galmoye، Anglo-Irish nobleman (b. 1652)
- July 2 – Thomas Baker، English antiquarian (b. 1656)
- October 5 – Johann Philipp Baratier، German scholar (b. 1721)
- October 11 – Princess Magdalena Augusta of Anhalt-Zerbst، Duchess of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (b. 1679)
- October 20 – Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1685)
- October 28 – Anna, Empress of Russia (b. 1693)
- December 1 – John Abernethy، Irish Protestant minister (b. 1680)
- 20 ديسمبر – Richard Boyle, 2nd Viscount Shannon، British military officer and statesman (b. 1675)
- December 30 – John Senex، English geographer (b. ca. 1678)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- ^ Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. p. 308. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- ^ "image: Bird's eye view of Batavia showing the massacre of the Chinese". Archived from the original on September 21, 2009. Retrieved November 12, 2006.
- ^ Hibbert, Christopher, ed. (1988). The Encyclopædia of Oxford. London: Macmillan. p. 182. ISBN 0-333-39917-X.
- ^ قالب:DNB
- ^ "The Historical Theater in the Year 400 AD, in Which Both Romans and Barbarians Resided Side by Side in the Eastern Part of the Roman Empire". World Digital Library. 1725. Retrieved 2013-07-27.